Friday, March 21, 2008

Increase in Ferry Prices

On the ferry back from Ubin last Sunday with the bicycle shop auntie and her family, I was alerted to the fact that ferry prices will soon be increased. My attention was brought to the notice on the boat (pictured below).


Photo by November. 16 March 2008.

With effect from 15 April 2008, boat fare to and fro Pulau Ubin will be increased from the current price of $2 per person to $2.50 per person. However, the current practice of charging $2 per bicycle remains unchanged.

Ah to think of the days when tickets were but 50cents and police wore shorts. What with fuel prices rising all over the world, this increase is timely. Hopefully, it would help the boatmen to continue providing these much appreciated ferry services to and fro Ubin. Meanwhile, this Monkey dreads hearing renewed complaints from Singaporeans who have already been bemoaning the "expensive ferry service" to Ubin at the previously lower rate of $2/person. Perhaps it's time we put ourselves in the shoes of the boatmen. I haven't seen any of the boatmen wearing rolexes or driving mercedes yet.

During my chat with the auntie on the ferry home, we also talked about how not every bumboat has this notice but the increase, if I am not wrong, is standardized across the board with all the boatmen. Perhaps they have since increased the distribution of this news but I did not see it on my trip to Ubin, only on the way back. However, I just received a SMS from the annotated budak, informing of the same information which reminded me to share this piece of news with everybody. Spread the word!

3 comments:

Carpark_Full said...

Hello
I linked your blog to mine cause I find your blog interesting..I have not visited Ubin yet, my last visit was in 1998..But I am sure to go back there again someday...Do continue your updates cause it gives me a nice feeling that there are still peopleso who appreciate nature in Singapore. Honestly, I am sick of pessimistic people who complains of there is nothing interesting here...

Thank you

Admin said...

Ohh!!is it... here in UK it costs around £19 (minimum) to ferries to france during certain seasons!!!

ferry to france said...

Now-a-days its costly to travel on ferries . so better to some other cheap ferrries